Sunday, June 29, 2014

My Personal Safety Tips

I thought about writing this short safety related blog because I was speaking to an office mate earlier today and about  how she was pick pocketed inside of the groceries.  It was a learning experience for her and a definite reminder to me that there are people out there who will take advantage of you if they can.

I've lived in Manila long enough to understand that it can be dangerous if you don't pay enough attention to your surroundings.  Manila offers many things to watch out for such as snatchers, pick pockets, and even the random machete wielding person. Yes, I've experienced all of that and more.  Come to think of it, I've also experienced a Samurai sword wielding person.  But before you read on:  I am no expert in security.  But I do have some common sense and its kept me pretty safe so far.

I hope the few simple tips I list below will help you stay safe.

1.  I like to see hands.  By that I mean whenever I ride in a jeep, FX, or a bus I like to see where the hands of my fellow passengers are.  If you can see them, then they aren't doing something else.

2.  Personal space.  Everybody loves their personal space.  If somebody violates your personal space make sure to move away if possible to regain it.  Imagine you're riding in a jeep that only has a few passengers.  Then all of a sudden a stranger sits right next to you even though there is plenty of space to sit somewhere else.  Be alarmed.  Because either you're going to get robbed, pick pocketed, or molested. A normal person would try to keep their own personal space intact unless there is no choice (like a full jeep).

3.  Bring only the essentials.  This is pretty self explanatory.  Bring only the stuff you need to bring with you.  Leave the gold necklaces and non-essential gadgets at home.  No need to show it off too.  The less stuff you have with you the less stuff you have to pay attention to.

4.  Pay attention to your surroundings.  A lot of people fail to do this one.  I do too sometimes but I try not to do it often.  Always be alert and ready for anything.  Not paying attention usually gets you into trouble and makes you a bigger target for thieves and bad people in general.

5.  Know where you're going and how to get there.  Before leaving the house make sure you know where you're going and how you're going to get there.  This generally keeps you out of a lot of trouble.  Try to also keep plenty of change with you.  It just makes travelling a lot easier when you're not waiting for the driver or conductor to give you your change.

6.   Be assertive and look assertive.  The more assertive you look the better your chances are of not being picked to be a victim by thieves.  They'd rather go for the easier score.

7.  Control your situation.  As much as possible stay out of trouble.  Don't place yourself (and others) in situations and places that could be dangerous.  Withdrawing from an ATM?  Don't do it in a dark and desolate place.  Use your common sense and stay away from possible bad situations.

Your own safety should be a top priority in Manila and pretty much everywhere you go.  People like me, who commute daily to and from work must put up with a lot of different hazards on the street.  We have to put up with pollution, bad drivers, long lines, and other things but we can at least control some aspects of our own safety.

But the trick is to keep safe while still enjoying a happy fruitful life.  Keep safe everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment